I have a subclass 482 Visa and want to change employers. What do I do?

As a primary subclass 482 visa holder, you have a condition attached to your visa. This condition requires you to work in your nominated occupation and for your sponsoring employer only.

This means two things:

  1. it restricts you from working a second job whilst on this visa; and
  2. it means that if you want to change employers you need to be nominated by the new employer.

If you are being nominated by a new employer, that nomination application must be approved before you start working for them.

I have found a new employer, what next?

Once you have found an employer who wishes to employ you and sponsor you, your new employer will need to lodge a position nomination application. This will start the process of transferring your visa from your existing employer’s sponsorship to their sponsorship.

Important reminder:

Just like when you were first applying for your initial subclass 482 visa, this process can be complicated and time-consuming.

Therefore, we always recommend that you do not cease working for your existing employer until the position nomination application has been approved.

If you do not have a choice about this, say if you have been made redundant, the condition on your visa will stipulate how long you have before you need to either make arrangements to leave the country or lodge a different visa application.

If you find yourself in the position where you need to change employer, get in touch with the migration specialists at KU Legal who can give you some sensible, useful advice:

+61 (0) 429 133 911


#kiteunionmigration #visa #visaaustralia #visahelp⁠ #migration #migrationagentaustralia #migratetoaustralia #immigration #wecanhelp #australia #sydney #worthmigratingfor #australianvisas #visagrant #australianimmigration #subclass482